Hard back

04/25/2006

Question:

I went to a doctor for a checkup and he noticed that I had a hard back. He said that it looked simular to peau d`orange in apperance and was red in some areas and would like me to see a dermatologist. I told him that it was probably due to the fact that I work with rot iron (heavy lifting) with my father and that he has a hard back as well. It runs from my mid back up to my neck and along my tricept. It doesn`t cause me any pain. I also noticed that I would get alot of acne on my back as well. Have you heard of any situations such as mine?

Answer:

While it may be true that while you handle hot materials and heavy materials causes hardness of the skin it is unlikely to be due to your work.  It sounds like you have an entity known as scleredema adultorum.  In any event since this may have several causes other than work I agree with your physician that you should see a board certified dermatologist to make sure that this is not some other disease such as scleroderma.  In any event your dermatologist can counsel you on the cause.  He may have to do a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.  Good luck.