Smoking and Tobacco

Nicotine withdrawal symptoms

04/27/2006

Question:

I stopped smoking 1 month ago using the 14mg patch. I did not apply a patch today and suddenly became very dizzy, nauseated and unfocused. I also experienced a bloody nose! How long will this go on?

Answer:

According to the American Cancer Society:

Typical symptoms of nicotine withdrawal can include: depression, feelings of anger and frustration, irritability, trouble sleeping, difficulty concentrating, restlessness, headache, tiredness, and increased appetite.

"Nicotine affects the brain. It basically creates pleasure in the brain, and it elevates a person's mood. So, when they quit smoking, a lot of people find they become very sad and depressed," Saunders said. "People need help with those depressed moments."

You should see your physician, as a bloody nose is not a symptom of nicotine withdrawal and could be a sign of something more serious.

A good website to refer to is the American Cancer Society:

www.cancer.org

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Kathy Vesha, RN, BSN, MA
Kick It!
The James