Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Tongue

05/23/2006

Question:

my 4 week old daughter has a white ball like cyst under her tongue which has been there since birth. we have been told to keep an eye on it to see if it gets any bigger. we were told not to worry about it and it should fade or burst on its own, if this does burst i would of thought it would be dangerous in such a young child, can you tell me what causes this and how do they go away and what exactly it is.

Answer:

You should have your child examined by a pediatric dentist or an oral surgeon for a specific diagnosis and plan to manage this swelling.  From your description, this lesion may be a ranula which is a swelling of tissue under the tongue due to disruption of the flow of saliva from a salivary gland.  Most ranulas do not completely resolve on their own and surgery may be necessary to prevent recurrence.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry