Exercise and Fitness

Lost the weight, now I want to tone it up

06/05/2006

Question:

Hi. Ive recently lost 10 pounds. and I weigh 118 now. I did weigh 127. I am losing weight in a healthy way by diet and exercise, but i have lost the amount of weight i want. Anymore would be rediculous. But anyway, I know that people sometimes think they are doing "target weightloss" where they try to do 1000 situps to get abs or tone their stomach, and i know thats a myth. But my question is, IS their anything i can do to tone my stomach up..to be flatter..since i am exercising and losing weight in the safe and normal way? My stomach still has flab and I guess my body`s shape is still changing..but can u help?

Answer:

The abdominal crunch is a great exercise for the upper abs.  The vertical hip raise is a great exercise for the lower abs.  Rotating with either of the exercises will activate your obliques (sides).  Performing a couple sets of all each exercise should help you out. This topic was also discussed in previous questions. You may wish to take a look at "Losing weight in only area left? Love Handles", "Spot Fat Reduction" and "Big belly."

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Jayme   Johnson, MS Jayme Johnson, MS
Program Manager
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley