Braces

Affordable braces

04/20/2006

Question:

I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and I`m trying to get braces. Do you know where I can get affordable braces because I don`t have insurance. And/or can you help me find a good dental plan that will help cover the cost?

Answer:

Before we talk about "affordable braces" we need to recognize that there really is no "one price fits all" in orthodontics. In the degree of importance in selecting an orthodontist to diagnose your need I would like to submit the following:

1.Make sure the doctor is graduated from a recognized graduate residency program. The American Association of Orthodontists has a list of those and if you write to them at 401 N. Lindbergh Boulevard, St. Louis Missouri, 63141-7816 or call 1-800 424-2841 and give them your address and zip code they can supply you with three names in your area.

2. Many dental insurance plans have an exclusion or do not have orthodontics as a benefit, so be careful if you buy dental insurance that you know what the lifetime maximum benefit is. Often it is as low as $1000.00 if they even have the benefit. In the event they don't and since most orthodontists will work out a payment plan with you, the purchasing of dental insurance is often not a good deal, unless it is something offered by your employer and then you need to ask what the co-payments are.

3. When you have looked into these two things then ask what is the fee for an initial examination and what kind of diagnostic costs are involved to determine the correct treatment plan. You should be able to get this information along with the estimated length of treatment and then decide when and how to solve the economic side of the problem.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry