Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children)

Stomach Pains and Anxienty

06/05/2006

Question:

My 9 year old son has been complaining of stomach aches and headaches for about 3 years now on the stomach aches and about a year on the headaches. We have been to a GI doctors and neurologists to find nothing medically wrong. I took him to the doctor again yesterday and they suggested it was anxiety and gave me a refferal to see a psychiatrist. My husband and his mother also suffer from anxiety and I am worried that my sons will only get worse. Am I on the right path to helping him.

Answer:

Yes, it is hard for children to communicate their anxiety in certain circumstances except through physical ailments.  The pain is real but the origin is psychosomatic.  Frequently a family history of similar type of issues is not uncommon.  I would encourage you to seek professional guidance from a mental health professional.  The good news is that it is treatable. 

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Floyd R Sallee, MD