Stroke

Very concerning symptoms

05/03/2006

Question:

HI, IM NOT SURE IF YOU CAN HELP BUT IM HOPING FOR SOME DIRECTION WITH MY PROBLEM IT IS RUINING MY LIFE HERE GOES IM A BASICALLY HEALTHY 31 Y/O W FEMALE MY PROBLEMS ALL STARTED AROUND SEPT OF 2005 WHEN I SUDDENLY WOKE UP TO A FOGGY HEAD /BLURRED VISION FEELING IT LASTED 3 WEEKS I WAS BACK AND FORTH TO HOSPITAL AT THAT POINT THEN IN DEC 2005 I WENT FOR A CERVICAL EPIDURAL FOR PAIN DUE TO BULGING DISCS C 5,6,7 NO ACCIDENT JUST APPEARED 4 YEARS AGO SO IMMEDIATLY UPON HER INJECTING ME WITH KENALOG 40 I HAD SEVERE SHOULDER AND NECK PAIN LEFT SIDE ONLY SHE SAID IT CANT BE FROM INJECTION SO I WENT HOME WHEN I AWOKE IN THE AM I GOT BACK THAT FOGGY VISION FEELING AGAIN THEN I STARTED HAVING WORSENED PAIN EVERYTIME I ATE SOMETHING I ASSUMED MAYBE IT WAS A ALLERGIC REACTION SO I TRIED BENYDRL WHICH ACTUALLY TOOK MOST OF THE PAIN AWAY BUT NOT VISION PROBLEM SO I WENT TO AN ALLERGIST SHE DID SOME TESTING (NEG) I WENT BACK TO HOSPITAL THEY DID MRI OF BRAIN TO RULE OUT MS ?(NEG) THEN I WENT TO A RHUEMATOLIGIST SHE RAN SOME TEST AND SAID MAYBE LUPUS? (NEG)SHE SENT ME TO A HEMATOLIGIST EVERYTHING NEG BESIDES LOW WBC THEN I WENT TO A NEUROLIGIST HAD A EMG, EVOKED POTENTIOAL AND MRI OF CERVICAL AND LUMBAR MRI SHOWED BULGING DISCS IN NECK AND BACK WHICH SLIGHTLY FLATTEN SPINAL CORD EMG SHOWED ONLY LUMBAR ONGOING IRRITATION LEFT SIDE HE SAID YOUR FINE SO THEN I WENT TO 2 OPTAMOLIGIST FOR VISION (NEG)VISUAL FIELD BORDERLINE LEFT SAID IM FINE SO OFF TO A CARDIOLIGIST STRESS THALIUM NEG FROM DEC 2005 TO APRIL 2006 CONTINUED FOGGY HEAD AND INTERMITTENT PAIN IN LEFT SIDE ESPECIALLY AFTER EATING LIVED ON BENYDRL LOST 30 LBS ON APRIL 20TH STARTED TO EXPERIENCE SEVERE CONSTIPATION AS OF MARCH 27TH I WAS WALKING AND ALMOST FELL OVER FROM SEVERE PAIN IN LOWER BACK SHOOTING DOWN LEG LEFT SIDE THEN IT SUBSIDED I WOKE UP ON APRIL 7TH EVERYTHING WAS GONE I FELT GREAT I COULD SEE PERFECT AND I HAD NO PAIN IN SHOULDER JUST SOME SLIGHT GROIN PAIN AND STILL CONSTIPATION HAD MRI OF ABDOMEN ONLY SHOWED FLUID SLUDGE LEVEL AT THIS POINT I WAS GOING TO BATHROOM 1 EVERY THREE WEEKS AS OF APRIL 19TH SYMPTOMS RETURNED IT STARTED WITH PAIN BEHIND LEFT EYE AND THROBBING LEG PAIN WHEN I WOKE UP THE NEXT DAY FOGGY HEAD SHOULDER PAIN BACK AGAIN LEG FROM GROIN TO TOP OF FOOT EVERYTHING LEFT SIDED ONLY IM AT A LOSS ANY ADVISE IS APPRECIATED BY THE WAY IM NOT A HYPOCONDRIACT OR ANXIETY RIDDEN I NEVER EXPERIENCED PAIN LIKE THIS IN MY LIFE AND I WONT GIVE UP TILL I FIND AN ANSWER

Answer:

To have these symptoms properly diagnosed, you will need to follow up with the health professionals who have been seeing you.  It seems clear that there is not a quick and easy answer that I can provide via web/email from the information you have provided.  Since this is the Stroke section, it is appropriate to say that it seems unlikely that you have suffered a stroke. 

It may be necessary to get a second opinion, and if so, it would be important to take all of your records and study results with you for that opinion.  Good luck.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program