Severe itching on upper arms

10/03/2006

Question:

I gradually started to itch on my upper arms especially at night. It has been severe to the point I can`t sleep, wake up itching, scratch until it bleeds. I have tried benedryl,claritin, then steroids. It is not getting better and my doctor wants me to see an allergist. I started on Keppra about 7 weeks ago. took it for a month and quit because I thought that was causing it. I been off for three weeks and still have this problem. Thanks

Answer:

It is of considerable concern that you are having such intense itching.  You did not share with me any other medical diagnoses, other medications, occupation, and things of that nature.  Each might have a differential diagnosis.  Since you have used a number of medications, it is clear that we don't have a very clear diagnosis, and hence the therapy is haphazard.  I would urge you to see your board certified dermatologist at the very earliest moment, for a careful medical history, laboratory evaluation, and proper diagnosis can be established so that intense appropriate therapy can be initiated.