Thyroid Diseases

Hypothyroidism Treatment and Hair Regrowth

05/01/2006

Question:

I'm not sure if you can help me but I was wondering, do you know to what extent men can lose hair due to hypothyroidism? Can it mimic male pattern baldness and return to normal when medication is started? Also do you know of anyone who has regained their hair on a synthetic T4 thyroid drug alone (without T3)? If so, how long did it take?

Answer:

Hypothyroidism, when severe, can cause hair loss by slowing the rate of growth of the hair and by making the hair dry and brittle so that it breaks easily.  This can be seen in both men and women, and would be expected to occur all over the scalp, and not just in the areas where male pattern baldness is seen.  If the hair loss is due to severe hypothyroidism then there is a good chance that the hair will grow back with treatment, but it would probably take 6-12 months to see the effect.  I don't personally know of any men who complained of hair loss that got better on synthetic thyroid hormone.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE