Damaged nailbeds

09/25/2006

Question:

My mother has very damaged nails. She has a few nails that almost look like are eroding away. Her primary care physician says that it is from her nailbeds being damaged. Is there a specialist for the nails? She is so embarrassed of her hands. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

There are several world authorities on nail abnormalities.  One of the most senior individuals in the world is Richard K. Scher, M.D.  His e-mail is:  onychium@aol.com   He has written textbooks and numerous papers on the subject of nail disease and could be of assistance in helping your mother arrive at a proper diagnosis and subsequent treatment.  Your board certified dermatologist may also be able to help you, and I would suggest that that would be the most expedient method of getting your mother under proper medical care.