Addiction and Substance Abuse

My sinuses are sore and raw; need pain relief

05/04/2006

Question:

I recently have tried kicking my excessive percocet addiction, and am now finding without the pain relief of percs I am experiencing almost headache like pain in my nasal cavity. I have beat the addiction but cannot work or enjoy any activity as it is that bad. I have been putting normal tylenol up there to stop it but its only temporary is there a better way to stop the pain as the tylenol is making it no better maybe even worse. I know stopping is good solution but it is unbearable and i made it a week without snorting anything and the pain remained just as bad. I know with all the medical advances out there there has to be something i can do, i cant be the first one who snorted way too much, pls help or should i just go see my doctor, I have been told there is nothing they can do for this problem. Thank You.

Answer:

Sounds quite painful!  What you are describing is termed "administrative damage" (damage from drug administration), or "end-organ damage" (damage to an organ from substance abuse).  First, you need help getting your nose / sinus / head pain treated and cured. Then you probably need help with substance abuse. 

Several things:

1) STOP snorting anything unless it is prescribed by a doctor.

2) See a doctor since you may have a serious sinus issue - infection / abscess / nasal septum perforation, etc.

3) All of the serious sinus problems are treatable ... most very easily! Whoever told you that nothing can be done for your nose / sinus / head pain is giving you very bad advice.

4) You may well eventually need some substance abuse related treatment (once the above "end-organ damage" is treated).

Please see related Netwellness information for advice regarding Substance Abuse treatment.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Ted   Parran, MD Ted Parran, MD
Associate Professor of General Medical Sciences