Severe Itch

10/02/2006

Question:

I went to the tanning bed yesturday and I got burned on my stomach til it was really red. I put aloe on it but that didnt work. I took a cold shower and that didnt work. I put bactine, vinegar and peroxide on it but none of that works.

The only thing that worked was an ice cube but that only stops the itching for 10-15 minutes. I probably got 35 min of sleep total last night because the itching is so bad. And now it has been almost 24 hours and it is still itching extremely bad. I have never itched this bad before. I need help can you tell me remedies to use to cure this.

thank you.

Answer:

It would be best for you to see a physician. It is possible that you received a severe tanning bed burn that doesn't reach its peak until 24-48 hours after the incident.

Cool soaks, topical anti-itch preparations, cortisone creams, and topical analgesics can be used for symptomatic relief but not to extensive areas. The pharmacist can direct you to these in the pharmacy and medications section.

Pranav   Sheth, MD Pranav Sheth, MD