blisters on nose

05/09/2006

Question:

I was in the sun Sunday woke up Mon morning and the end of my nose had small blisters now they seem to be flatter in large ridges.The rest of my face was not sunburned. What could it be?

Answer:

The most likely problem with your sunburned nose is a second degree burn on the end of your nose.  It could be cold sores which can be activated by exposure to intense sunlight.  Only your board certified dermatologist can give you a very accurate diagnosis.  I would urge you to use sunscreens with an SPF factor of 30 and be certain that the sunscreen you choose blocks against ultraviolet light A as well as ultraviolet light B; and I would urge you to use one that does not easily rinse away with perspiration or swimming.  Your pharmacist can help you choose among the various brands that may fulfill these criteria.

In the meantime, gently cleanse your nose and use a mild moisturizer of your choice.  If the lesions become pustular, topical antibiotic is in order; but a visit to your dermatologist is mandatory since infection in this area can lead to significant medical problems.

Good luck!