Sarcoidosis

Prednisone

05/05/2006

Question:

Dear Dr My husband was diagnosed with inactive sarcoidosis in 1986. This flared up in 1992 and he was put onto 8 pred per day, which was slowly reduced and today he takes 1 pred every other day. He has regular check ups and for the past year there has been no sign of active sarcoid. He is in very good health, and cyles and runs often. My question is that his doctor is hesitant to take him off the pred completely, as she feels that this might cause the sarcoid to flare up again. What would you advise.

Answer:

When you say he is taking 1 prednisone every other day do you mean one tablet (e.g., 10 milligrams) or do you mean 1 milligram every other day. If it is 1 milligram of prednisone every other day, that is basically homeopathic (as if he is taking none). If 10 milligrams every other day, that is a dose that could have an effect. I need to know this in order to advise you.

Best regards.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine