NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
African American Health
How many Americans are affected by birth diseases per day?
The following figures come from the March of Dimes. Their website is an excellent source of information regarding statistics on birth defects and genetic disorders. Look under their Health Library resource for additional information. The website is listed below.
Quick Stats for the United States
1. Every 8 seconds a baby is born in the United States.
2. Every hour 3 babies die.
3. African American infants are more than twice as likely to die before their first birthday as white infants.
4. Birth defects are the leading cause of infant mortality.
5. More than one in five infant deaths is due to birth defects.
6. Every 3½ minutes a baby is born with a birth defect.
7. On an average day, 411 infants are born with a birth defect.
8. Each year 2,500 babies are born with birth defects of the brain and spinal cord.
Anne Matthews, RN, PhD
Associate Professor of Genetics
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University