Osteoporosis

Bone Density Test

05/22/2006

Question:

Recently had first bone density test (Dexascan) at age 74. Was was shocked with diagnosis of osteoporosis in spine and osteoperina(sp?)in hip. Questioning reliabilty of my test and would like information on whether the operator (technician)should be certified, licensed, etc.(in NY state) and whether the radiologist should be on site to have test repeated if unclear (as in mammograms). I`m just beginning my research, while taking Caltrate plus D and Evista before another bone density test next April.

Answer:

It is good that you are trying to be sure your bone density was properly performed.  Certification by the ISCD (International Society of Clinical Densitometry) is always reassuring.  The radiologist does not have to be on site as long as they have ISCD certification.  That generally assures that they have positioned you correctly.  It generally requires one to two years to see a true difference in the measurement because of the error in the equipment.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology