Obesity and Weight Management

Determining your resting metabolic rate (RMR)

08/24/2006

Question:

Hi. I`m in limbo as to how many calories I need. The generic what is your weight, height, and age calculations minus 300-500 calories/day doesn`t work for me. I also know that too few calories put`s one into starvation mode. So, how can I find someone who has a MedGem device (mentioned in other postings) to calculate my RMR?

I work for the University of Michigan and their Med links don`t provide any information on this service. Thanks!

Answer:

Thank you for your question.  You asked where to find a place to get a MedGem measurement.  Unfortunately in May, the company which developed the MedGem went into bankruptcy.  While the device is excellent, the company did not have the money to successfully market the device.  Another company has, however, bought the rights to the device so this service will once again be available.  I would recommend calling the outpatient nutrition clinic and/or the academic weight loss center in your area to inquire about the availability of this measurement.  The MedGem is not the only device that can determine your RMR (resting metabolic rate).  You may find that one of these places does the measurement with a different device.

You can also calculate your RMR using the Harris-Benedict equation.  This equation actually provides your BEE (basal energy estimate), but that is most likely equivalent.

BEE (male) = 66.47 +(13.75 x weight in kg) + (5.0 x height in cm) - (6.76 x age in yrs)

BEE (female) = 655.10 + (9.56 x weight in kg) + (1.85 x height in cm) - (4.68 x age in yrs)

This equation is generally close to your calorie needs unless you are considerably above your normal weight.

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Shirley A Kindrick, PhD Shirley A Kindrick, PhD
Former Team Leader of Comprehensive Weight Management