Sarcoidosis

Sinus sarcoidosis

05/16/2006

Question:

I have been suffering with Sarcoidosis for several years. I am managing to keep my lungs stable and we watch my other organs but my sinus area seems to always have some Sarcoid problems. Is a small dose of Prednisone the best treatment when there is no sign of sinus infection? The headaches are awful and my body is sensitive to OTC sinus medications.My doctors, including an ENT, all seem puzzled on how to treat me.

Answer:

This is a complicated question. Treatment has to be personalized according to how the disease is responding to treatment. A minority of sinus sarcoidosis cases can be managed with nasal corticosteroid sprays, and this approach has the fewest side-effects, but most people need to take oral medications to control the disease.

One recent study indicated that about 10% of patients respond very well to surgical removal of the sarcoidosis. Surgery is restricted to patients who have blockage of the sinuses by large collections of inflamed tissue (sarcoidosis). You can see that a specialist is needed to help make these decisions.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine