Mouth Diseases

Bumps in back of tongue

05/17/2006

Question:

I`ve been looking through past questions about people with bumps on the back of their tongues and still can`t find an answer I am looking for. I have large bumps on the back of my tongue that have been there (that i know of) for about a week. I gave head to my boyfriend for the first time about a month ago. Could this be an indication of an STD of some sort? I also was a smoker for about 6 months. I did quit, could this be from smoking?

Answer:

If there are about 6 to 8 of these bumps, all about the same size, lined up across the back part of the top of the tongue, these most likely represent circumvalate papillae.  These are normal anatomical structures that have been there your entire life.  Most people don't examine this area carefully because it is so difficult to see back there.  If the bumps don't look like the description that was given, then you should be seen by an oral pathologist.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology