Breast Feeding

Breast feeding

06/19/2006

Question:

my daughter is 15 months old and i am still nursing her but really want to stop but every time i try she just crys for hours if shes not nursed i was just wondering if there is an easier way for me too go about it thats easier on the both of us

Answer:

Weaning is a very difficult time for both mom and baby. The ideal way to wean is gradually. From what you’ve written, I’m not sure if your daughter wants to wean or if you want to wean her. If she is still nursing frequently try to stop an individual feedings rather than all feedings at once. Often time the bedtime feeding is the last to go. When trying to stop and individual feeding you can try to change routines so that you are able to offer her something in place of the nursing. When nursing her you could also shorten the time she spends at the breast. Yes, weaning is a trying time for both mom and daughter. Good luck.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing