Fake nails

08/30/2006

Question:

I had nail tips put on and they finally came off a couple days ago.When they came off,the top layer of my nail had ridges.Is there anything I can do to treat them or make them go away?

Answer:

I assume from your description that the ridges in your nails are longitudinal, and are under the area where the artificial nail is placed.  These are chemical reactions which have damaged the keratin in your nail.  I would urge you to be careful about the use of artificial nails since the adhesives may have a significant impact not only on the nail plate itself, but also on the underlying nail bed, and produce some distortion if you are sensitive to those solvents.  For now, gently filing the area to smooth it, and filling in with a clear nail lacquer is probably your best bet.  These nails usually grow out and look like the proximal part.