Child Abuse

Judicial System and Child Custody

05/24/2006

Question:

I am a 27yr. old single mother. I have a 19 month old that has been diagnosed with 2 forms of sleep apnea, bradycardia. we are still trying to get her in to a neuroligist because from the time that she was five months until this last january she had seizures, there are multiple witnesses to this. My daughter was removed from my home on April 14th 2006. they claim i have munchausen syndrome by proxy!!!!

Even with medical documents stating she has these problems, & all the witnesses to the seizures. I am going out of my mind about what to do. I do not live alone and the others (my aunt &grandmother) have witnessed all that is wrong with her. The Judge in my county does not like my family because of what some family members have done in the past. i need all the help I can get. I have even more witnesses to her health problems. But the judge just talks to me as if I am stupid and don`t know what myself and others have seen and dealt with.

I need help from someone who knows that there are people who have been wrongfully accused of this syndrome. If you believe you can help or give me any information at all please reply

Answer:

It will be impossible for me to offer specific advice, since your concern is more extensive than what can be addressed in a general forum like this one. If you have been accused of a crime then you might consider finding legal counsel.

Go to the Child Abuse health topic, where you can:

Robert Shapiro, MD
Professor of Clinical Pediatrics