Pulmonary Hypertension

Not sure about outcome

06/20/2006

Question:

My boyfriend was recently diagnosed with PH, He also has COPD, dilated cardiomyopathy. He is on numerous medications and his physician said it was time to treat his PH. He name 2 different meds. (Bosentan and/or Revatio) Can his PH be reversed? He has stopped smoking 6 months ago...He is in a pulmonary rehab program...He is compliant with his meds and dr appointments. Can this be reversed? Most things I have read have been a death sentence...but his physcian has never said anything like this... Actually he told us that it can get better. Please help!!!

Answer:

You do not state how high the pulmonary artery pressures are. It is not uncommon to find some degree of PH in the setting of dilated cardiomyopathy and COPD. If he has a dilated cardiomyopathy which implies a weak left side of the heart, then the PH related to that is very different from the idiopathic pulmonary hypertension. There is no benefit from treatments like Revatio or Bosantan in this setting, and the overall outcome depends on the cardiomyopathy.

Go to the Pulmonary Hypertension health topic, where you can:

Namita   Sood, MD, FCCP Namita Sood, MD, FCCP
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep