Stroke

Numbness in left hand and foot

06/08/2006

Question:

I have just started experiencing a subtle numbness of left hand and left leg lasting over a few hrs. Can this be a sign of a stroke? FYI, I am 40 years old and am currently taking Zocor, 40 mg.

Thank you.

Answer:

To have these symptoms properly diagnosed, you will need to see a health professional. You may require a physical examination. Here is some background information that may be helpful:

A stroke may be occurring when you have a new neurologic problem of sudden onset, especially when it affects one side of your body but not the other.  Common symptoms include numbness or weakness of one side of the body and/or weakness of one side of the face (often with slurred speech).  Other symptoms that are potentially related to a stroke include losing vision in one eye or on one side of the visual field and/or having difficulty understanding or producing speech. 

If you have any symptoms that you suspect could represent a stroke, it is important to be evaluated immediately.  You should call 911 and be taken to the closest hospital that is capable of handling an acute stroke. 

There is one FDA approved treatment of acute stroke, but it must be given within 3 hours of stroke onset.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program