High-up pain after root canal

06/05/2006

Question:

I had a root canal on #6 about 4 weeks ago, and returned about 10 days later for it to be backfilled after 7 days of penicillin. There was still some sensitivity when I pressed right next to my nose. This sensitivity worsened over the next week. After x-ray didn`t really show anything, the dentist prescribed another 7 days of penicillin and Advil every 6 hours, the latter to decrease inflammation. I continued the Advil one day after finishing the penicillin, at which time the pain crescendoed. The sensitivity to pressure right next to my nose remains. This tooth is one end of a multiunit bridge (front teeth), which now feels a bit creaky and cranky. X-ray didn`t show an abscess, but was it missed, or was a root missed? thanks.

Answer:

It is hard to really tell what the problem is from your description. The problem may not have anything to do with the tooth. But if it is the tooth, there may be a crack in the tooth that is not showing up on an x-ray, there may be a residual infection that is simply taking a while to heal up, or there may be a problem with the bridge where too much pressure/torque is being put on that one tooth and the infection/irritation has not been able to resolve. It is simply too hard to say without seeing the radiographs of your tooth or examining you.

If the problem fails to resolve soon, I suggest an evaluation by an endodontist to rule out tooth-related causes.

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics