Mouth Diseases

Mouth blister

06/05/2006

Question:

hi could you please advise me on a pale red blister that keeps coming back in the same place.about 6 weeks ago i bit the inside of my lower lip.if this is the cause or just coincidental i am not sure.about a week after i noticed what felt like a small pimple about the size of a grain of rice.about a week later a small blister appeared,slightly like a blood blister but not as red.after 2 to 3 days it went down but this pimple was still there.5 days later it came back.perhaps unwisely i burst it and there was a mixture of blood and a very pale yellowish matter.this was the first and last time i did this.i saw my doctor and he assured me it was nothing he would not give anything and told me to put bonjela on and it would go on its own,if not to come back.twice more in the next 10 days the same happened.i went back though still assuring its nothing to worry about he has refered me to a mouth specialist,iam waiting for an appointment.since the first pimple its now been 6 weeks and the cycle keeps repeating itself,no real pain only the pressure of the swelling.when it goes down all thats left is this small pimple and i am convinced its not coming back.however after 5 days it allways does,the blister has got slightly larger ,perhaps because of the skin round the area stretching.the pimple however as got no bigger.i would be gratefull for any advice you can give,thanks.

Answer:

The problem you are describing probably represents what is called a mucocele or mucus extravasation phenomenon.  Essentially, it is leakage of saliva (spit) from one of the hundreds of minor salivary glands found in the mouth.  It may have been caused by inadvertent trauma or biting of the area and damage to the small tube (duct) that carries the spit from the gland to the mouth.  The saliva then pools under the skin of the mouth, creating a clear or bluish bubble or blister.  Bleeding into the blister can make it look red or purple.

A history of enlargement and shrinkage is fairly common, and these lesions can be remarkably persistent.  In many cases, surgical removal of the damaged gland is needed to stop the problem altogether.

If you would like to receive treatment, I recommend you get an appointment with an oral and maxillofacial surgeon at your earliest convenience. 

Good luck!

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology