Breast Feeding

Breast feeding difficulties

06/20/2006

Question:

I have read over and watched many videos still it seems that I am doing something wrong. Everytime I nurse it hurts really bad, and even after about 20minutes of sucking my baby still seems to be hungry. I believe that he is not getting enough milk, I tried to wait for him to open his mouth wide enough and he starts to cry and once I give it to him, it seems as though he is biting or something. I really need help because I really am trying to get him to latch on properly. Sometimes I just let him nurse even though it hurts and I read that it is not good for me to do this. It looks as though my nipples are going to start bleeding, sorry to have written so muh but I am so frustrated and I really need some help.

Answer:

Breast feeding should NOT hurt.

You need to see a lactation consultant who can assess your unique situation and help you develop strategies for your problem.

Check with your health care provider for a list of local lactation consultants or call the hospital where you delivered and set up an appointment with one.

Good luck to you!

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing