Addiction and Substance Abuse

Heart pain with marijuana use

07/10/2006

Question:

I am an 18 year old male who has been smoking marijuana for about three weeks now almost daily and the last time I experienced severe chest pains. After smoking a large quantity I began to feel as if someone was stabbing my heart. This made me extremely scared and it persisted for about 20 minutes. Two days later I still feel a little bit of pain on the left side of my chest. Should I be worried about having a heart problem? The pain was so terrible that I almost went to the hospital. I have decided to stop using marijuana at least in the mean time because I am afraid of what could happen to me.

Answer:

From what you report, you have a real problem with M.J. This is based upon the information provided including daily use, efforts to cut back or control the use, etc. It is very important that you quit using entirely and seek professional help if you can not "stay quit".

Regarding your chest pain, it sounds very real and clearly is from your lungs rather than your heart. This is also serious, and you should see a physician for evaluation.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Ted   Parran, MD Ted Parran, MD
Associate Professor of General Medical Sciences