Gum Diseases

Color of gum after extraction

06/12/2006

Question:

I had a tooth surgically removed 4 days ago, now the site is greyish white in colour, no pain but tastes and smelss horrible. There is stitches as well.

Answer:

The major complication after extraction is a dry socket.  This means that bone surface exposed following extraction is not covered with blood clot and stays exposed.  This causes more severe resorption and inflammation causing smelling etc.  But this generally comes with fever and pain.  Thus, I think that you have some food debris stuck into the little space created following extraction. 

You are probably scheduled to see your dentist to have the sutures removed within 10 days.  I recommend that you not miss that appointment.  

You may want to call the office and see your doctor earlier if you already have swelling and fewer.  Also rinsing with a mouth rinse may help with the bad taste.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology