Breast Feeding

Non-stop fussy, gassy colicky 5 week old

08/29/2006

Question:

Hi. My son is 5 weeks old, he has extremely loud gas constantly.l He screams from the gas, before and after he releases it. He will detach himself from my breast, screaming and will release gas. I took milk completely out of my diet for approximately 2 weeks and noticed no difference.

The screaming has gotten worse and so has the gas. I was told by a friend to wait and nurse him after the let down, after the spraying stops. I`ve been doing this since week one. Mylicon drops and gripe water- don`t seem to work either. Help!! Thanks!!

Answer:

If this is milk intolerance, cows milk and ALL dairy products must be removed from the diet for 3 to 5 weeks.

If this is foremilk-hind milk imbalance, then it might help to use only one breast per feeding, or even for 2 feedings.

This decreases the relative lactose load in the baby’s diet. Just pump the unused breast to comfort but NOT to empty…and not at all if you are not uncomfortable. This latter possibility is more likely if you tend to overproduce.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology