Skin elasticity

06/21/2006

Question:

I am 53 years old. My weight has fluxuated over the years, but not to excessive degrees. I am active and, for the most part, have relatively healthy diet habits. My question is, are there certain foods or maybe supplements one can take to reduce sagging skin due to age - my problem is located primarily under my jaw, my upper arms and my thighs. Reducing fat and toning muscle are obvious first steps and I am attempting to do just that - but I know too that aging has much to do with the problem I face. Are there foods that help with skin elasticity or perhaps natural supplements? I don`t like synthetic drugs of any kind. Thanks for your help.

Answer:

As we age, the elastic tissue becomes less effective and large weight loss may leave a lot of redundant skin.  I know of no quick fixes.  You are doing the right thing to enter into a healthy exercise program, but I think you'll find that the only way to reduce really baggy skin is to have it removed surgically.  I would consult a plastic surgeon.