Stroke

Heaviness of head after stroke

06/19/2006

Question:

I had a stroke on 2 Febriary 2006 & was admitted to the hospital. My left side became very weak & right side became numb though it was strong & I was able to use right hand & leg without any problems. I was unable to swallow & a tube was attached to my stomach through nose. After staying hospital for roughly one & half months, I was discharged & was advised to get admitted in another hospital for Physiotherapy & Rehabilation. I got admitted to this hospital where I underwent Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy & Speech Therapy. The tube was removed Speech Therapy doctors after examining the throat & I was able to swallow. After staying in hospital for roughly one & half month I was discharged & I started to attend my office. My biggest problem is that all the time I feel heaviness in head (& some pain on left face). Are these normal after stroke & roughly for how long these inconveniences are expected to be there?

Answer:

I'm afraid that I don't know the answer to your question.  I have seen many stroke patients, and have not commonly heard the complaint of head heaviness after stroke.  However, fatigue is a common complaint.  As you know, it takes more mental and physical energy to accomplish tasks that were easy prior to stroke, and this is fatiguing.  Perhaps this is what you are experiencing as your head feeling heavy.

Pain in the face can be an after effect, depending on where your stroke occurred.  I would advise you to follow up with your physician, and to discuss any problems that you are having with him/her.  Good luck.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program