Breast Feeding

Green stool

08/29/2006

Question:

Here is the history. Baby at 4 months went 13 days without a bowel movement then had a small one, green. Baby went another 11 days without a bowel movement upon which we gave him mineral oil. He began to have bowel movements again lose, seedy and greenish brown. At his 6 month check up our doctor put him on lactulose to help instead of mineral oil.

Also at this time he cut a tooth and refused the breat completely so we started him on Nestle Good Start Formula. Since then he has had a bowel movement everyday or 2 days that are green and soft. He cries something awful when he moves them. He has been on Rice Cereal since 5 motnhs old and fruits and veggies since 6 months old. We have stopped the lactulose at the adivse of our doctor but no change in the bowel movements.

We were mixing his formula with spring water that we run though a filtered machine...could this be the cause? Is the cow milk based formula the issue? My doctor and nurse advisor don`t seem to think there is an issue here but I can`t stand to see my guy in such distress when he passes stool.

Answer:

Yes, the cow milk based formula could be an issue, in that it has irritated his inner rectal area.

You may want to try a soy-based formula.

Alternately, he could have an anal fissure which hurts whenever stool passes by.

This could be ruled out by a colorectal pediatrician such as they have at the Children's Hospital.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology