Osteoporosis

Biggest impact on bones

07/05/2006

Question:

I am 45 and have gone through an early natural menopause. I had taken Femhrt for 2 years stopping it a year ago. My bone scan showed -2.2 on the spine and -1.7 on the hip. The Dr put me on Actenol and wants me to think about hormone replacement. I am not bothered by hot flashes. I don`t know if hormone replacement should be considered for bone health only. What has more impact on the bones estrogen or a drug like Actenol?

Answer:

Most clinicians do not use two medications for osteoporosis.  The bisphosphonate should suffice if you  have no other need for hormone therapy.  If you prefer the hormone therapy for a few more years, that alone would be considered adequate therapy.

I would also recommend an evaluation for other causes (secondary causes) of osteopenia (thinner bone, not yet osteoporosis) since you are a little young to have those bone density scores.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology