Biggest impact on bones

I am 45 and have gone through an early natural menopause. I had taken Femhrt for 2 years stopping it a year ago. My bone scan showed -2.2 on the spine and -1.7 on the hip. The Dr put me on Actenol and wants me to think about hormone replacement. I am not bothered by hot flashes. I don`t know if hormone replacement should be considered for bone health only. What has more impact on the bones estrogen or a drug like Actenol?

Most clinicians do not use two medications for osteoporosis.  The bisphosphonate should suffice if you  have no other need for hormone therapy.  If you prefer the hormone therapy for a few more years, that alone would be considered adequate therapy.

I would also recommend an evaluation for other causes (secondary causes) of osteopenia (thinner bone, not yet osteoporosis) since you are a little young to have those bone density scores.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology