Asthma

Symptoms of A Breathing Problem

07/28/2006

Question:

I recently have been experiencing episodes that start with a dry cough, then shortness of breath and wheezing, the wheezing continues, I can`t talk or the coughing will increase and this causes much more shortness of breath. If I sit very still and maintain control of the breathing, in 40 to 60 minutes the wheezing begins to ease up, and the shortness of breath eases, and cough usually stops, the coughs make me feel as if I`m not able to breathe at all. I`ve had allergies (hayfever) for 33 yrs., I`m a 46 yr. old woman. These episodes were occuring every month or so, but now about once every two weeks and they are getting more severe each time.

Answer:

Your cough, shortness of breath and wheezing are all signs of asthma. Because you have had hay fever in the past you are much more likely to develop asthma. You need to consult your primary care physician as soon as possible and he should arrange for a comprehensive allergy evaluation by a board certified internist/allergist. In addition after the diagnosis is confirmed, you need to be placed on long term controller therapy supplemented by brochdilator drugs.

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

I Leonard Bernstein, MD I Leonard Bernstein, MD
Clinical Professor Emeritus