Breast Feeding

Working mom

09/06/2006

Question:

I have a 10-week old that I have been breastfeeding since birth. I plan to start back to work in 2 weeks and have arranged for my mother to take of the baby.

My mother needs to able to take a bottle from my her while I am at work, but I will still want to be able to breastfeed when I`m at home. We have tried with very little success giving her a bottle - we try to give the bottle before she gets too hungry and also at different times of the day- but she refuses to take the bottle, and gets herself very upset until I take her and feed her from the breast.

How can I handle this? Thank you.

Answer:

Try an Orthodontic nipple. Attempt this when baby has already fed at the breast and is pretty sleepy, but has been burped.

Try to stay out of sight, mom, while she is being fed by bottle by either dad or grandma.

The person feeding the bottle should try holding the baby closely, in the nursing position, letting drops of your milk fall onto the lower lip while talking to her gently. When she opens her lips, support the chin with the fourth finger and gently stroke the cheek with the middle finger of the same hand. In a few days she will easily go back and forth between breast and bottle.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology