Braces

My retainer

07/05/2006

Question:

I wore braces for 22 months, and had them taken off in 8th grade. I`m about to start Uni this fall. When I had them removed, I was given a retainer, and had a permenant wire placed behind my teeth. Somehow, the wire has gotten loose or chipped. I keep cutting my tounge on it, and when I feel it I can feel that it`s coming off. I haven`t seen my orthodontist in over 4 years, and I`m not sure that he`ll see me again. Plus, I know that I`ll get yelled at for losing my retainer way back in 9th grade..

Answer:

First of all you will not get yelled at because some changes often occur after orthodontic treatment.  Try to reestablish contact with the orthodontist so the problem does not worsen.  You may just need a small amount of repair and a new retainer.  Certainly not the end of the world.  Do it soon so that there is time to properly construct a new retainer before you go back to school and the problem continues for another year.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry