Pain Management

Thigh Pain and Osteoarthritis

05/11/2007

Question:

I have been experiencing pain in my upper left thigh for quite some time now. What started out as a quickening slight pain in my thigh that would go away. Now the pain is constant and I have begun to walk with a limp. It hurts on the top thigh, and down the inner thigh. I am always in pain. sometimes I am halted in my tracks from the pain where I can`t move. Sometimes just as quickly as it hurts it may go away. I recently saw a doctor where I had a CT scan, x-rays, and an ultrasound to rule out a blood clot. There is also some slight swelling in the back of my thigh. I can feel it by touch. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and given ultram, told to rest, and lose weight. I agree with losing weight and I am taking the steps. However, after reading more about osteoarthritis, my question is such. Why would I be hurting in this particular area with no other symptoms that the osteoarthritis details. Is it possible, that I may be suffering from something else?

Answer:

Thank you for the questions.

This may be due to either the hip joint itself or it could be radiating for the spine along L3-4.

You will need an MRI to evaluate both.

I also agree with the weight loss as no treatment will be successful without it.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Hammam  Akbik, MD, FIPP Hammam Akbik, MD, FIPP
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia