Pain Management

Thigh Pain and Osteoarthritis

I have been experiencing pain in my upper left thigh for quite some time now. What started out as a quickening slight pain in my thigh that would go away. Now the pain is constant and I have begun to walk with a limp. It hurts on the top thigh, and down the inner thigh. I am always in pain. sometimes I am halted in my tracks from the pain where I can`t move. Sometimes just as quickly as it hurts it may go away. I recently saw a doctor where I had a CT scan, x-rays, and an ultrasound to rule out a blood clot. There is also some slight swelling in the back of my thigh. I can feel it by touch. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and given ultram, told to rest, and lose weight. I agree with losing weight and I am taking the steps. However, after reading more about osteoarthritis, my question is such. Why would I be hurting in this particular area with no other symptoms that the osteoarthritis details. Is it possible, that I may be suffering from something else?

Thank you for the questions.

This may be due to either the hip joint itself or it could be radiating for the spine along L3-4.

You will need an MRI to evaluate both.

I also agree with the weight loss as no treatment will be successful without it.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Hammam  Akbik, MD, FIPP Hammam Akbik, MD, FIPP
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia