Addiction and Substance Abuse

In treatment for meth

07/06/2006

Question:

Hi, I am in treatment for drugs, particularly methamphetamines. I have given a urine sample and the result of it was that it was dilute. I am in the drug court program in Pierce County. My counselors are recommending inpatient treatment.

I feel as if I am not being treated fairly. I feel this way because the day that this happened I was at the gym earlier and I drank a ton of water. I showed up at Pierce county alliance and at first did not have to urinate, since the afternoon was coming to a close I drank a bunch more water so that I could give the sample and be on my way, before they closed.

Turns out all the water might not have been a good idea. The test came out dilute. They feel as if I was trying to mask something and I was not. The counselors tell me that I am in denial. Which I am not denying that I have a drug problem, I am however, denying the fact that I used, because I did not.

What do you suggest? I`m thinking about taking a hair test. Is this a good idea? They informed me 6 days after the urinalysis and since meth is 3-5 days out of the system just taking another urinalysis would not prove much.

Answer:

There are too many unanswered questions for me to give an appropriate response:

A test of a hair sample is probably not realistic for a lot of reasons, including cost.  Also, a hair sample will only show if you have ever used methamphetamines, not when you last used.

Random, monitored urine drug screens are the best way to screen for most drugs of abuse, and usually a dilute specimen is considered a positive test, which may or may not be fair...........

Good luck!

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Peter D Rogers, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor