Thyroid Diseases

Low Body Temp and Thyroid Nodule Questions

07/10/2006

Question:

My body temperature (measured on waking and before rising) seldom rises about 96.5. I tracked it for two months and in that time, it only reached 98.6 on two days out of the 60. I have many of the physical symptoms for Cushing's, PCOS, and/or hypothyrodism, however blood tests have not been conclusive. I took my temperature chart with me to the endocrinologist (the 2nd of two that thought that I must have Cushing's when they first examined me), but he did not think that the low body temperatures were of any consequence. Is it?

I was diagnosed several years ago by another endocrinologist as having a very small nodule on my thyroid, but none of the doctors seem to think this is of any consequence either. I just keep gaining weight despite exercise and a balanced diet. I now weigh over 300 pounds.

I am on no medication except for Advil for my feet. Thank you for your time.

Answer:

Different people have different set points for their body temperature.  By itself, the body temperature pattern you describe has no medical significance.

If the thyroid nodule is over 1 centimeter in size it should be biopsied.  If it is under one centimeter in size it should be checked periodically.  Some would say it should be followed periodically with a thyroid ultrasound.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE