Breast Feeding

11 month old baby - drop in supply

09/19/2006

Question:

I have been breastfeeding my baby; and everything has gone well. She will be eleven months old this week and has been breastfeeding 3 times a day. She eats solid foods well (and a lot!!) The past couple of mornings, after I have finished breasfeeding her, she has signed "more", and when I gave her a cup of water, she has taken in several ounces. I pumped to see how much milk I produced, and got one ounce (before feeding her in the AM). I am still drinking plenty of fluids. My question is: Is this a natural time to wean her? I am sure she will take formula fine - we have been using that to mix with her cereal. It just seems like my body isn`t producing enough anymore.

Answer:

It is very likely that your milk supply is going down, related to only nursing 3 times per day.

The breast will produce only as much or as little as is demanded of it.

If it feels like a good time for you to wean, you can let the supply continue to diminish.

If you would prefer to continue breastfeeding longer, then you might try breastfeeding more like 5 to 6 times per day, or pumping a few times per day.

This is up to you and your baby.

Congratulations for having continued for almost a year!!!

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology