Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Types of Dentures

08/03/2006

Question:

My Aunt had a full set of dentures on the top, But it looked like a set of teeth on a bar and the teeth fit into her own gums. She said she got them in Los Angeles,Ca or Hollywood. Where can I get these and who do I contact? It was not made on a Plastic form. I asked my aunt before she died, but she could not remember the dentist. I recently got dentures and this mouth full of plastic is killing me. I can not stand it. I know there is an alternative and my aunt had it since the 70`s or 80`s. Please help me find this dentist or alternative.

Answer:

Thank you for your question.

The type of restoration/dentures you are asking about is very popular nowadays. Depending on where you live, it is possible for you to find a prosthodontist. A prosthodontist is a dentist that specializes in dentures, crowns, bridges, and implant restorations.

Generally, a prosthodontist will examine you, and determine which treatment alternatives/possibilities are available  for you and which can best suit you to restore your esthetics, function, and dental health.  These decisions will be based on your specific situation, goals, and desires towards the treatment.

If dental implants form part of the treatment options for your case, the prosthodontist will refer you, after a thorough assessment, to a periodontist for an evaluation for dental implants placement. A periodontist is a dentist that specializes in gum treatment and surgery, dental implants placement, and gum plastic surgery.

During this evaluation, the periodontist will try to determine if the plan(s) proposed by the prosthodontist can be accomplished by determining the existing quantity/quality of bone available in your jaws. This process may require further x-rays, CT scans of the jaws, etc., in addition to previous x-rays taken by the prosthodontist.

Generally, the prosthodontist and the periodontist then form a "team" to approach and treat your case. The prosthodontist presents the best treatment option (that he has agreed on with you) to the periodontist. He indicates what he needs to accomplish with the dentures, crowns and/or bridges, so the implants can be placed in strategic or specific areas or sites in the jaw bones that will enable the best prosthetic result. Precision templates are fabricated to place the implants in the desired and agreed positions.

This form of communication between the prosthodontist and the periodontist is essential for the overall success in accomplishing your goals/desires and the proposed treatment option. The advantages of this type of denture restoration are:

Maintenance and caring of the dentures/implants: Simple! Same as
natural teeth.

I hope the information provided is of help to you.  Please let us know if we can be of any further help.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Periodontics
School of Dental Medicine