Bad root canal

07/19/2006

Question:

hi, i have had a root fillling on wisdom for 10 years . just been told have non painful abcess and bone loss present.dentist prescribed antibiotics. root was not filled to end, nerve removed. will i loose my tooth or could it be worked on, are there other options and health implications. thanks.

Answer:

From your description, the tooth can be worked on.  The root canal will need to be redone.  This can be a bit tricky since the previous root canal may not be able to be improved on because of possible difficulties with the case originally. 

If your dentist feels that the tooth can be restored (with a new filling or crown) then I would suggest you see an endodontist for the retreatment.  If the endodontist does not feel that he/she can fix the tooth - then you may have to consider extracting the tooth.  Leaving the tooth with an abscess could lead to some other problems.

Of course if you do not want to commit any more money/time for the tooth, you can always have it taken out without having the root canal redone.

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics