Root canal

07/19/2006

Question:

I have a pressure sensitive tooth, but not sensitive to heat or cold. My dentist thought it was a bite problem and did some grinding on the tooth which did not help. I was sent to a root canal specialist who, after xrays et cetera, told me that I needed a root canal. Is this the answer to my problem?

Answer:

It could be the answer to your problem.  If the nerve of the tooth is infected and/or dead there could be inflammation at the end of the tooth.  This inflammation could be causing you your pain.  

It is sort of like always pushing on a bruise with your finger. When you eat the tooth compresses in the jaw bone slightly thus putting pressure on the irritated area and that is what you are feeling. The root canal would remove the source of irritation and allow the bone to heal and this should take care of your symptoms.

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics