Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects

Genetic disease

07/20/2006

Question:

I once read something about a genetic disease in which two of the symptoms were curved fingers and large pores. My index and middle fingers on each hand curve significantly towards the ring finger and I have huge pores on my face and back.  I have both and was wondering if you had ever heard of anything like this.

Answer:

The term cliniodactyly is used to describe fingers that curve or bend. The most commonly affected finger is the 5th finger - the pinky, which usually curves toward the thumb. Clinodactyly is usually caused by abnormal growth and development of the small bones in the fingers during fetal development. If these bones deviate in direction during development, it can change the shape of the bone and cause the finger to curve.

Clinodactyly seems to be very common - it is estimated that 10% of the general population may have some form of clinodactyly. It can also run in families. It can also be seen in many genetic syndromes, however, these usually have other abnormalities present as well.

I do not know of any association of clinodactyly and large pores.

Go to the Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects health topic, where you can:

Anne   Matthews, RN, PhD Anne Matthews, RN, PhD
Associate Professor of Genetics