Exercise and Fitness

Exercise induced headache

08/14/2006

Question:

I recently started a weight training program using a home weight machine. Last week, on two occasions, I experienced severe pain on one side of my head--primarily around my right eye--while lifting weights. The pain lasted for a few minutes and then subsided. I saw my primary care provider, who thought it could be an exercise-induced migraine. Because the acute pain only lasted a few moments, I`m wondering if I should be satisfied with that opinion. The primary care provider did not think any additional testing was necessary and told me to lower the amount of weight that I am lifting. I did lower the weight today, but still developed a slight amount of pain at the end of the weight set; however, it was not as severe as it had been with the higher weights. Do you think I should have other testing done? (P.S. I am slightly overweight and have normal to low blood pressure --tested in the office at 104/65.)

Answer:

Since the severity of the headache went down with the decreasing of weights, I would suggest you lower the weights again.  If this problem continues, even with lower weights, I would get a second opinion on your situation from another physician.  Good luck. 

P.S. Remember to keep breathing while exercising and do not hold your breath.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Jayme   Johnson, MS Jayme Johnson, MS
Program Manager
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley