Athletic Training

Career in Athletic Training

08/10/2006

Question:

I was thinking on pursuing a career in athletic training. I would like to know what colleges did the athletic trainers attend? How long does it take? What types of certificates and licenses you would need to have? What inspired them to become an athletic trainer? How`s the working condiions and what types of benefits do they recieve?

Answer:

Thank you for your interest in Athletic Training.  There are many colleges & universities all over the country that offer degrees in athletic training.  Ohio has 24 schools that offer this degree program!  I would suggest that you run an athletic training search on the website of the college/university that you are interested in attending. 

In general, most undergraduate programs are four years, with the actual athletic training classes taking between 2 and 3 years to complete.  Once you graduate, you will take a national exam offered by the Board of Certification to become a Certified Athletic Trainer.  I've provided a weblink for your reference:(www.bocatc.org)

Nearly 32 states require a license to work as an athletic trainer.  Ohio is one of those states.  You can view those requirements on the following website: (www.otptat.oh.gov)

My reason for becoming an athletic trainer was the blending of sport and medicine.  I truly enjoy helping athletes return from injury out to the playing field.  Additionally, I love to teach others about preventing injuries, too.

Athletic Trainers work in a variety of different work settings:  professional team, colleges/universities, sports medicine clinics and high schools.  Each environment has different hours, responsibilities and salaries.  On average, the starting sallery for a BS in Athletic Training with no experience is ~ $30, 000/year.  You can learn more about the profession at www.nata.org.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Vincent J O'Brien, ATC Vincent J O'Brien, ATC
Head Athletic Trainer
Clinical Instructor at the School of Allied Medical Professions