Stroke

Questions in regards to my grandmothers cat s

08/07/2006

Question:

Mt grandmother is in the end stage of dementia. She recently had a CAT san and I am not sure hwat the results mean. They noted the following: left hypodensities, age-indeterminate lacunar infaracts chronic changes of parenchymal involution extensive white matter disease, left parietal lobe encephaloma lacia c/w prior remote ir sott. I am not 100% sure if all words are spelled correctly. Can you explain this to me and is any of this life threating?

Thank you.

Answer:

First, let me say that it is always important to know the patient's whole history when interpreting results of imaging studies.  It will not be possible for me to tell you what the significance of the findings are without knowing your grandmother.  I would recommend that you discuss these results with her doctor for full clarification.

Here is some general information.  I have answered several questions for this forum about white matter disease, and you could look at those answers to learn more about the significance of "white matter disease".

Lacunar infarcts are small lesions in the deep white matter of the brain.  They are like white matter changes: usually they are seen in the brains of older people who have had high blood pressure or diabetes for a while.  These can be associated with stroke (the clinical event where someone develops sudden onset of weakness, numbness, or other neurologic problem). 

I presume that the last thing you wrote is left parietal lobe encephalomalacia due to prior remote insult.  This just means that there was an injury of some kind to this region of the brain, and that the tissue there has been lost.  This can be seen long after a stroke, or long after a head injury of some kind, etc.

I hope this helps.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program