Child`s hair growth

08/28/2006

Question:

My daughter is 5 years old. (December 24, 2000). Her hair is very thin and short and it just doesn`t seem to grow, current length is above her ears. It has, maybe, grown 2" in 8 months. I would appreciaste it if you could advise me and send me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Answer:

I would suggest that your daughter has a genetic abnormality of her hair.  There are several syndromes that meet these criteria in my opinion.  However, I would urge you to have her seen by a board certified pediatric dermatologist.  There are a number of well-trained pediatricians and dermatologists who have specialized in pediatric problems in the Cincinnati area.  I would suggest Dr. Anne Lucky.  She sees patients in Childrens' Hospital Medical Center and in her private practice.  You may contact her in her Childrens' Hospital office through the Childrens' Hospital website.