Gum Diseases

The top portion of the roof of my mouth

08/01/2006

Question:

After I had Wisdom teeth pulled years back and Dentist said I had Juvenile Diabetes the upper right portion of the roof of mouth has receeded to the point where now I get nightmares that my jaw is going to fall off.

Answer:

Dentist cannot diagnose diabetes. Thus, you probably mean juvenile periodontitis. This is a form of gum disease that follows an aggressive pattern and causes bone loss in a short time. This disease initially affects molars and incisors (back and front teeth).

It is normal to have bone loss at the extraction site (you describe this as recession).  If you have severe recession around your remaining teeth, this tells you that you have continuous type of bone loss. You need to receive treatment if you want to save your teeth. Again, this disease generally causes bone loss in a short time. I recommend you to visit a periodontist.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology